An interesting article at Houzz.com claims to be able to predict the personality type of remodeling clients. Using just five questions, including two that have nothing to do with remodeling, author Hannah Kaspar claims to be able to predict how laid-back or difficult a remodeling client may be during a project.
While knowing this information would certainly be helpful, is this the best way to determine it?
From laid-back to controlling and from impulsive to procrastinator, your client’s personality type will obviously influence how smoothly the project runs (or not). Whether one can tell the type from the questions below, however, is problematic. Although, this little quiz may be better than nothing.
- You get an invoice from your builder that has a line item you don’t understand. What do you do?
- Cross out what you don’t understand and pay only for what makes sense to you.
- Worry about it a little, but ultimately decide to pay the invoice in full. You’re sure it’ll make sense later.
- Call your builder and get your questions answered before paying the bill.
- Put it aside for now. You’ve got time before it’s due.
- What’s your ideal date?
- Something I plan the day of, if not right before — spontaneity is key!
- A dinner at my favorite restaurant, where I know the menu like the back of my hand. The waiters call me by name, and the service is amazing; not a single request goes unfulfilled.
- An ideal date is one that’s planned together, with open communication and a lot of wiggle room.
- I’m up for whatever my date has planned. And even if I don’t like it, I’ll be a good sport, and he or she won’t hear a peep about it (for now).
- What’s your biggest complaint about remodeling?
- The dust and the noise. I hate my home not feeling like my home!
- I feel as though there’s so much to focus on at home that my work/school life takes a backseat. I never get anything else done!
- My only “complaint” is that it’s not free! Ha!
- I hate the end phase. All the little bits of stress from the project add up, and I feel as if I’m going to lose my mind. I just want my house back!
- Which song lyric resonates with you the most?
- Don’t worry about a thing, ’cause every little thing gonna be alright. — Bob Marley, Three Little Birds
- I got to do things my own way, darling. — Rihanna, Consideration
- Put it off until tomorrow, whoa, whoa. — Dolly Parton, Put It Off Until Tomorrow
- Hello, daddy. Hello, mom. I’m your ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb! —The Runaways, Cherry Bomb
- Describe your perfect remodel in three words or short phrases.
- Well-planned. Controlled. On time.
- Drama-free. Clean.
- Easy. Low stress.
- Well-directed. Under budget.
Ultimately, experience and relationship building will determine how well or poorly you get along with any remodeling client – and any personality type. Keeping the answers to questions 1, 3, and 5 in mind might be helpful as you interview a potential client, though.
Looking for more new design trends, tips, and ideas? Get in touch with TD Fall today.